Twitter


Sunday, June 5, 2011

A play about borders

This week I saw a play titled "The Book of Grace" which revolves around the turmoil caused by a reunion between a father who is obsessed with his job as a border patrol agent, and his son who is recently returned from the military.  Although it is advertised as having 3 charactes, I would argue that the border fence plays an important fourth character, in this allegory about borders between people.  The performances were uneven, although the actor who played the father, "Vet", did an amazing job of inhabiting his character.  I left the play wondering what it was really about, and I have to admit that I consider a play successful if it makes me think in more detail -- this one made me think more about the impact that the border has on both sides, and the people who live in its shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment